coat of arms

THE HISTORY OF BARBADOS GOVERNMENT


Email Print

The form of Government in Barbados between 1627 and 1639 was Crown Colony Government which comprised; a Governor, a Legislative Council and House of Assembly (established in 1639). The Legislative council was a nominated body, of nine (9) members, appointed by the Crown on the Governor's recommendation and the Assembly was an elected body initally comprising two (2) representatives from each of the eleven (11) parishes. In 1843 the Assembly increased to twenty-four (24) with the introduction of two (2) representatives for Bridgetown. From 1660 until 1901 the life of the Assembly was two (2) years, in 1937 it was extended to three (3) years, and in 1951 it was then extended to five (5) years.

In 1901, the legislative qualifications for voting was primarily property ownership, however, on June 6, 1950, a Bill was passed in the House of Assembly to amend the Representation of the People Act. The bill abolished the property qualification for membership of the General Assembly and introduction adult suffrage, thereby granting the franchise to every member of the population, twenty one (21) years old and over, to vote for members of the House of Assembly and on October 22, 1963 the francise was extended to persons eighteen (18) years and over.

The Register of Electors

Publication of the Register

Under the Representation of the People Act Cap 12 Sec. 13(1), the Commission is required to prepare and to publish, not later than the 31st day of January in every year, a Register of Electors for each constituency and a register of Foreign Service electors entitled to vote at any election.